Making Friends with Flatmates

Summary of topic: accept any invites you can.

If you live with people, this is a great way to make friends. What I will say though is that they may not become your best friends and you may not get along with all of them. 


What it was like when I first arrived


It’s a funny story because when I first got here I was coming back from the shops. I had finished storing everything in the fridge and took my bag. At this point, I wasn't close with my flatmates. One of them came in and asked if I was going to the shops. My French wasn't great at that point, I thought she was asking if I got back, I said "oui..." and she said okay 2 minutes I'll go grab my stuff. I waited in the kitchen to see if I heard her right and it turns out I did, so I had to go to the shops again! It was quite funny because I ended up buying things I didn't need, but it was worth it to for a nice chat.


One night my flatmate asked if I wanted to make dinner together, as it was just us two in the flat. It was really fun. After that the next week, I asked her. We ordered in food that time. Take it in turns, and just ask, the worst they can do is say no, and at least you tried! 




One day I decided to bake an apple crumble (very British I know) for the flat. Since I wasn't confident talking, I found it hard to express how friendly I actually was. I felt I came off rude because sometimes I couldn’t respond to them properly as I didn’t understand. By offering something to the flat I broke the ice, and it showed that I was friendly and was making an effort. One even asked for the recipe and I translated it into French for her. 


Settling in 

 

Update: It’s April and I've just become fully comfortable with my flatmates. So don't worry if it takes you time - this is completely normal. It’s different for everyone. Me and the flatmate Pia from the shop story I just wrote about, have become super close. We joked that she became my French mum haha.



Here are me and my flatmates on my birthday.

Some of my flatmates ended up moving out and new ones came in. It was nice to be able to meet more people. We ate dinner together, went out, and watched the euros! We all had completely different personalities so I didn’t think we’d get on, but we did. 


Travelling together


The flat girls also went on a trip to a place called Nancy. It was a good way to get to know them even more. I had to join them later as I was working that day but I didn't feel left out at all when I got there and they really included me the whole time.

Pia even invited me to her mums house in Marseille. It was so kind of them to host me and I had a fab time. I really feel like I have found a lifelong friend in her and will truly miss her when I leave.

 

Overall, I got really lucky with all of my flatmates. We got on well and I had a fab time with them. They really helped me out when I had questions and they really took care of me. I'll be forever grateful for them. 

My one regret is not opening up to them earlier, so please try to put yourself out there. You'll make so many more memories if you do!

If you want to read more about making friends, read my blog on AIESEC*, Making Friends at University* and Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone*.

*Please not that all hyperlinks are in the colour red.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts