Homesickness

Summary of topic: frustrating, manageable and completely normal!

On Arrival

I'm writing this first entry 2 weeks into my stay, and the homesickness is mixed. Maybe its because it still doesn't feel 'real', if that makes sense. It kind of feels like a holiday, like the honeymoon period of my year abroad!

I lived away at uni so I am very used to being away from family. I think when it has been longer than a month, it will start to get more difficult.

That being said, I do miss many home comforts. Everything is so different, it has taken some time to settle in.

My family sent me some flowers for Christmas which was so nice. It made me begin to miss them more...

Updates

It's now February and schools have just gone for a 2 week holiday. It's bittersweet because I am happy to get a break (trust me, you'll need it) but if it wasn't for COVID I could have had some of my family to visit me, or even friends too. It's quite isolating when no one familiar can visit you as everything does feel very new. 

A very happy me the day before the school holidays!

It's the start of March and I'm feeling like I have finally found my feet. I've made friends in a uni society and a uni class! I wanted to show you that it took me about 3 months to get here. It may not be instant, but trust the process. I'm not a very confident, outgoing person so your experience may vary completely depending on who you are.

How can you manage it?

When you go for your year abroad, everyone will tell you to make the most of it, to speak the language and to embrace the culture, which I completely agree with. However, don't feel like you have to do this all at once, you can still enjoy things from home.

Moving away is not easy so if you need to, take time to ease yourself in. It can help your mental health to still do things you enjoy. For example, I still watched my favourite TV show that I used to watch every day back in Scotland. It isn't in French but it's something that makes me happy. 

Call your family and friends often. Just because you've moved abroad to start your independent lifestyle, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't get support. Even though it may not feel like it, regular phone calls and chats with the people you are familiar with really do boost your spirits. I often did Netflix Parties too, its a fun way of "doing nothing" but with someone you know.


Don't worry if you're homesick and not instantly having the best time. It happens to all of us, you'll get there!


Comments

  1. Aaaw , you are so encouraging you make us believe we can do it too! You should probably be a motivation coach at some point . It is so uplifting to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. V.good Ramya. Your words are very encouraging. That is what any one new travelling out of their home for the first time need. Reading your blog many will get encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts