Finding Accommodation

Summary of Topic: Avoid short cuts, put your safety first.

Remember you are moving to a new country where you don't know the language or the culture. If you can, try not to cut costs with accommodation above everything else. I'm not sure if it's the same for you but I heard a lot of horror stories about scammers and flats being really hard to find in France, but I managed to get something safe and simple sorted so don't worry.

Searching for a flat

I had to book an Airbnb first for self-isolation purposes due to COVID. If you are planning on doing flat viewings with non agencies then I recommend this, rather than paying for something you have never seen from someone you don't know. I booked with an agency so I didn't need a viewing. I can confirm the pictures and the flat did match.

I booked through Chez Nestor*. It was really easy to do and available in English if you prefer. You can even see on the site the existing residents age, name, gender, and where they are from. So if you'd prefer to be in the same or mixed gender apartment, or with native French people it's a good way to find out. Although, people do move in and out and you don't get a say in this so if you are particular with your requirements you'd have to enquire about this.

They do charge a 290 euro service fee which is pretty expensive as you don't get it back at the end. Luckily I booked when there was a deal going on so I only had to pay 190 euros. To avoid scams and to ensure I had a smooth moving process, the fee was definitely worth it. Considering I was moving during COVID I wanted minimal risks. The deposit was 900€, which you get back at the end of your stay.

Generally in France the rooms / living spaces can be a bit smaller than expected so be sure to read the size specifications as sometimes the photos are deceiving.

The agency is really nice. They have a phone line and a chat on their website so you can ask questions before you rent. They also have key collection points around the city or in their agency so you can choose where to get your key. I chose to pick it up at a petrol station which was only 10 minutes by walk from the flat. 

They offer flats in a few cities in France so check to see if your city is on there. They provide a range of prices to suit different needs too. 

My Flat

When I arrived I had been given bedsheets, a towel and toiletries which was nice as I had forgotten to bring a towel with me! Mine came with a fully equipped kitchen and bathroom as well. They have a maintenance team so any repairs or damages, they can be called out at no extra charge. It does sometimes take a while to get them to come as during your stay they can only be contacted by email for non emergencies.


To clarify, the cheesy posters were NOT mine... I ended up covering them with pictures haha


My stay on the whole was great. There were only a few breakages but the maintenance team sorted it all. I had a few flatmates move in and out but luckily never any issues with anything. 

I did share a toilet and shower with 4 people which I had never done before. I couldn't find many ensuites and the ones I did find were really expensive. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and everyone kept it clean which was good.

I won't go into much more detail as the website says it all, but let me know if you want more specifics on my experience x

*Please note that all hyperlinks are in the colour red.

Comments

  1. Hi ramya,

    With your accommodation did you have a “bail individuel” or a “bail solidaire”? I have been searching for accommodation (even on agencies) and I have found that many colocations have a solidarity clause. This makes the flatmates liable to pay the other shares of rent in the event of other flatmates non-payment? Did you find this with yours and is it common in France?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts