Being a Tutor

Summary of topic: a great way to get some extra cash.

One of the teachers at my school asked if I could tutor her kids every Wednesday afternoon. In France, many primary schools are off on Wednesdays so you will have this day free. 

What was my experience like?

I'm so glad I said yes to being a tutor! She had 6 children so I'd go for 3 hours every week and spend 30 minutes with every child. Sometimes all of them weren't there so in the time I had left we would chat and play games (mostly) in English.

It was nice to be able to also French teenagers as I had been so used to interacting with the younger ones. I actually really enjoyed teaching the older ones. I could have more conversations with them in English and they liked learning which made it a lot easier for me.

What did I have to do?

I helped them with homework and any English grammar questions they had. I was told what they wanted to work on prior to coming in so I prepared little activities on my laptop. I could also re-use the material I prepared for school so it wasn't too much added work. It wasn't stressful at all and the kids were really understanding if I had to look a word up in French to explain something to them. 

The special moments

On the day I was tutoring it was the birthday party of one of her kids. Once I finished tutoring the others I was invited downstairs to join in. It was so much fun, it brought back memories of all my childhood birthday parties. I even got a party bag at the end!

When it was my last day we all had snacks and chatted at the end. It was really nice because the eldest said that I was the best English teacher she had. Her mum also said that her other daughter's marks had been going up and that was ever since I became her tutor. It was nice to hear because I wasn't sure if I was having as much of an effect on the older ones.


If you want a bit of extra income you could always send an email to all your teachers or ask them in person. If they have older children doing exams they would really benefit from a native English tutor.


Comments

Popular Posts