Opening a French Bank Account

Summary of topic: Easier than you think

Before I went, I heard that setting up a bank account was really difficult and French people were really strict about paperwork. Although they are strict about documentation, it really wasn't difficult at all. 

Do I need one and why?

If you are going to France to work as an English Language Assistant through the British Council you will be asked to set up a French bank account.  I had initially set up a Wise* account but my employer asked me for a specific document: relevé d’identité bancaire (RIB). Even though Wise had this, they were adamant it was through a French bank account. 

How do I do it?

The thought of trying to set up a French bank account made me so anxious. My level of French wasn't the best… I could understand enough but putting sentences together was a struggle.

Luckily, it was much easier than I thought. I lived really close to a few branches so I went into one and started my sentence with « Je suis une étudiante éccossaise ». This was a life saver because they immediately knew my French wasn’t going to be the best. They explained that I needed an appointment and they asked me when I was free. I just said as soon as possible as I needed mine in a rush, and was able to come back that afternoon. They told me in advance what documents I needed to bring back with me. These are explained later on below.

I chose the bank BNP Paribas* by the way - they were great!

The actual appointment (!)

The bank assistant came and took me through. He was really friendly, but he did speak reallllly fast… I tried to understand but I think he could tell by the look on my face I had no idea so he offered to speak slower which was kind. I think the mask really threw me off because I couldn't even lip read to understand.

I did have to ask a few times for things to be repeated but he was again very nice about it. He even offered to do speak English but I wanted to continue in French and we got there! 

He just asked routine questions, there was nothing major. Just things like when I arrived in France, what I’m going to study here, where I was born etc. 

The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes so it didn’t take long at all. Just remember to make sure they give you your RIB. This was given to me right at the end so don’t worry if it’s not straight away.

They post your card to you so you can just wait for that.

Document Explanation

Disclaimer: this is just for BNP Paribas, it might be different depending on your bank. You can call up your bank before and ask, or ask when you are making your appointment.

  • Passport

Just bring the actual thing, no need for a copy.

  • Proof of address

Bring a printed copy of your contract and your receipt of payment. You can ask your leaser for an “attestation de logement” and bring this too.

  • Proof of work / study documents

I am working and studying so I had an “attestation” for the schools and for the university. You will be given one by your uni before you arrive. The education centre will give you specific attestations when you arrive. If you're unsure just take all documents and show them to your banker, they will keep you right.

Your Debit Card

This will be sent to you through the post. To use your debit card, you should be sent a 4 digit pin code. The confusing thing is, they have the same name for your 6 digit code that you use for online banking and your 4 digit pin code. They call them both a "secret code". This was really confusing for me because I went to withdraw cash at an ATM using my 6 digit code and they didn't accept it. I had used this code because I never actually received my pin. I had to go to the bank to get it sent to me again, so just watch out for this.

Online Banking

While waiting for your card to arrive, you can sign up for online banking (depending on your bank). With BNP Paribas it was really easy. To do online banking on your laptop you'll need a "secret code" to log in. This was sent to me in the post and is a 6 digit code. You also use this for your app as well. To access the app, you will be sent another code in the post but it's just a one off code (yes, French people love their codes). Once you have these you can access your accounts very easily.

I mostly used the app which was really good. It works like any other bank app. 

Watch out for extra charges. With BNP Paribas I noticed they had taken some money from me, even though I was told it was free to have an account. It was easily fixed though, I just emailed my branch and they immediately took off the charges. 

Key Vocabulary

« Bonjour, je suis un(e) étudiant(e) eccosais(e) et je me demandais si je pourrais ouvrir un compte bancaire avec vous? »

Hello, I am a Scottish student and I was wondering if I could open a bank account with you?

« Vous avez besoin un rendez-vous »

You need an appointment

(Rendez-vous is a key word here to know as its used for an appointment).

« Un fauteuil »

An armchair / couch

(The receptionist told me to wait there but I had no idea what that word meant so I walked away, came back and asked again and she pointed and then I realised… I looked it up on word reference after haha)

« Un distributeur »

An ATM machine

*Please note that all hyperlinks are in the colour red.

Comments

Popular Posts