Healthcare

Summary of topic: not as confusing as you may think.

Pharmacies

I only went here once for paracetamol but I am sure you could enquire at the pharmacy if they had the medicine you need. If you need to buy paracetamol you'll have to get it at a pharmacy. They don't sell them in supermarkets like in the UK. I had brought some before I left but ended up needing more.

I asked : une boite de doliprane s'il vous plait, en comprimés. En comprimés is in tablet form. It is paracetamol don’t worry, just called something different. It worked exactly the same and I had no issues with it. Make sure it is right for you before using it. 

Doctors

I never actually needed to visit a GP during my time. But I think there are sites like Doctolib* you can access for any medical services. It would be helpful if you had your Carte Vitale as it helps with medical costs.

Health Insurance

Assurance Maladie is the health insurance in France and the Carte Vitale Is proof of you having insurance. If you need to pay for a treatment, they scan your card to check it. Then you pay for it. After, they will reimburse you partially or totally depending on the treatment. 

The education centre* I was assigned to for my ELA position gave me forms to apply for it. I received my insurance number before my card.

You have to send paperwork off in the post and then apply for your card. Everything was done through the post in my case. It took a good few months to arrive due to COVID for me but I got my number very quickly. Make sure you apply as early as possible just in case you need it. 

Disclaimer: I'm not sure how this will work after Brexit but your advisor will help you out.

COVID Tests

Getting these were super quick and easy. I looked up covid test centres on Doctolib* and it came up with loads. I went for a lab called Unilans which had many different bases around the city. Myself and others have used this lab and it's really reliable.

You choose your appointment slot online and fill in your details. When you get there, they will ask for your Carte Vitale. If you don’t have it show your passport. 

They asked: 

  • The purpose of the test i.e. travel
  • If I had covid symptoms
  • My address in France
  • Date of birth
  • Email address
  • Phone number (I didn't have a French number but just gave my UK one and it was fine)
When you get taken in to the testing room they should double check your details and show you the email and phone number so you can check for typos as it is not easy trying to spell things out through glass with masks! Make sure it's correct as this is where your results will go to.

I got my results in less than 24 hoursIt was free for me but the rules may have changed by the time you are there. 

That's everything I experienced that was healthcare related but please ask if anything was unclear x 

*Please note that all hyperlinks are in the colour red.

Comments

Popular Posts