Applying for CAF

Summary of topic: patience is necessary...

What is CAF?

CAF stands for 'Caisse des Allocations Familiales'. It is basically a source of funding to support many different types of people living in France, including international students.

It's a free extra source of funding with absolutely no added costs or a need to pay back.




How much do you get?

CAF is calculated based on your area, financial status and type of accommodation. I had to give lots of details such as square footage of my flat and room. They ask this so they can see how much you are entitled to. Since I rented from an agency Chez Nestor*, they had all the answers to CAF questions which was really useful. I just had to ask them and they sent the document through.

In total for 6 full months of living in my flat (they only calculate it based on full months so if you stay for half a month more you will not get CAF), I got 528€.

How can you apply?

So, since I went during COVID I had to apply online*. The application process was a bit confusing and lengthy. I managed to do it myself but I recommend also asking a fluent French speaker just to help you out. Since I applied on my own I used an English translation* of the online CAF application. It wasn't exact as the website had been updated however it really helped me.




You may be able to go into the office to apply. I have heard that past people have brought along a French speaker with them as it is quite a process if you have just arrived and don't know the language very well.

Documentation

They ask for A LOT of documentation. I got asked for my birth certificate so try and print that out before you go. Since I did it online, I emailed my documents through. Unfortunately, they never got my emails (I sent them 5 times) and I had to just send it by the post. I recommend sending it through the post as well as an email because I was in contact with CAF for months trying to sort it out and it's much quicker just to post it. 

If you need to print documentation you can ask your assistantship advisor to come to the offices to print them. Or you can ask at your school. If you are going as a university exchange student then there should be printers at uni or a printer shop in the city.

Tip: CAF do not tell you if you haven't sent enough documentation, or if something is wrong with your application. It is up to you to sort it out and follow it up. Try to do this as early on as possible so you get your CAF sooner than later.

When do you get CAF?

Again since I applied during COVID, I didn't actually get my CAF through until I was just about to leave back to Scotland in July... bearing in mind I applied in December! This was also because of their communication services. Any questions you have, you must type it through a portal and wait a couple of days. You can't just email someone, and when they do respond you can't respond to that email. You have to re-request through the portal. 

You are supposed to get it monthly but I got it in one lump sum. The nice thing was they reassured that if I wasn't in France by the time they processed it, they would still pay it in to my bank account. 

Honestly, even I got confused writing all of this so let me know if you need any clarification! It's probably the most confusing thing I've applied for in France haha.

*Please note that all hyperlinks are in the colour red.

Comments

Popular Posts