Improving Your French

Summary of topic: you have to push yourself.

There are many ways to improve your French, you just have to really try and immerse yourself in the culture. It was tiring and some days I just wanted to go back to English but you only learn if you really try. These are some things that I found useful:

What you can do 
  • Netflix: Watch French movies/series with French subtitles. You can start with English subtitles but make sure that you're not just reading the English. If they aren't originally French I chose the French audio option. It's useful for slang and common conversation. 
I recommend Lupin if you haven't already seen it! It's like a thriller/mystery and the French isn't very complex.
  • Change your phone language: It's just something little but it really does help! Often google search results come up in French so its a good way to test your French reading skills.
  • Chat to store assistants: when I went shopping I often said yes when store assistants would offer any help or more information. For most of it I just said "oui oui" haha but I got to listen to their French. They are literally paid to be nice to you so they were always understanding and spoke slower for me.

What not to do

  • Talk in English: it is likely that people you meet will know English or want to improve theirs. It's easy to fall into that trap, but remind yourself why you are here. You can obviously still help them but make sure you explain you're here to learn French. 
  • Doubt yourself: it's easier said than done but try to just push yourself. From my experience I found that the things I remembered most were from making mistakes and being corrected. At the time I was embarrassed but now I will never forget it. Give it a go and if it's wrong you'll know for next time.
I wanted to tell you that I didn't actually feel my French was improving at the time. I didn't realise how much I actually knew until I got back home. So don't panic if you are in the same boat as me!

Comments

Popular Posts